Zirconia dental implants have been growing more in popularity due to their excellent biocompatibility and stability and becoming an excellent substitute for titanium dental implants in particular clinical situations and potentially beneficial to a certain group of patients.
PROS OF CHOOSING ZIRCONIA DENTAL IMPLANTS
- More aesthetically pleasing and eliminating the potential risk of any dark lines around the gum.
- Metal-free and is a good choice for people with known metal allergies or sensitivites.
- More biocompatible to the body resulting in less inflammatory reactions.
- Completely inert resulting in less plaque and calculus retention.
CONS OF CHOOSING ZIRCONIA DENTAL IMPLANTS
- Aging of the material could potentially result in the reduction in strength, density, and toughness of the material.
- The placement is more critical therefore a less than ideal placement will result in the weakening of the material.
- The reduced amount of angulation options for abutments.
- More costly than traditional titanium implants.
- Lack of long-term research conducted to determine if zirconia is superior over titanium implants.